Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Health Care
- Consensus model for APRN regulation: Licensure, accreditation, certification and education.2008 (Retrieved from)
- Implications of the rapid growth of the nurse practitioner workforce in the US.Health Affairs. 2020; 39: 273-279
- Exploring the factors that influence nurse practitioner role transition.Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2015; 11: 178-183
- Hospital regulation of pediatric-focused nurse practitioners: A multistate survey.Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2022; 18: 558-562.e1
- Alignment of pediatric nurse practitioner licensure, accreditation, certification, and education for employers.Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2022; 18: 316-319
- Veterans’ perceptions of care by nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and physicians: A comparison from satisfaction surveys.Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2010; 22: 170-176
Chesney, M. L., Andrews, S. P., Fry-Bowers, E. K., & Hiltz, C. (2021). Safeguarding the future of pediatric care: Challenges and opportunities for educating and expanding the pediatric nursing workforce. Retrieved from https://ipedsnursing.org/sites/ipn/files/resources/IPN_White_Paper_Safeguarding_the_Future_of_Pediatric_Care_03.16.2021.pdf.
- Internet, phone, mail and mixed-mode surveys: The tailored design method.fourth edn. Wiley, 2014
- Factors related to successful transition to practice for acute care nurse practitioners.AACN Advanced Critical Care. 2016; 27: 173-182
- Pediatric nurse practitioners: Roles and scope of practice.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 846-850
- Nurse practitioners and physician assistants employed by general and subspecialty pediatricians.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: 665-672
- Pediatric nurse practitioners: Influences on career choice.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2014; 28: 114-120
- Resident work hour changes in children's hospitals: Impact on staffing patterns and workforce needs.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: 700-704
- White paper: Critical shortage of pediatric nurse practitioners predicted.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2019; 33: 347-355
- Advanced practice provider-inclusive staffing models and patient outcomes in pediatric critical care.Medical care. 2021; 59: 597-603
- PICU provider supply and demand: A national survey.Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2018; 19: e378-e386
- Availability of acute care pediatric nurse practitioner education in the United States: A challenge to growing the workforce.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2020; 34: 481-489
Health Resources and Services Administration (2018). NCHWA nursing workforce dashboard. Retrieved from https://data.hrsa.gov/topics/health-workforce/nursing-workforce-dashboards.
- Understanding nurse practitioner scope of practice: Regulatory, practice, and employment perspectives now and for the future.Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2019; 31: 468-473
- Characteristics and perceptions of the US nurse practitioner hospitalist workforce.Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2020; 33: 1173-1179
- Nurse practitioner hospitalists: An empowered role.Nursing Outlook. 2021; 69: 856-864
- What we know about postgraduate nurse practitioner residency and fellowship programs.Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2017; 13: 482-487
- The need for advanced clinical education for nurse practitioners continues despite expansion of Doctor of Nursing practice programs.Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice. 2019; 20: 183-185
Millman, J., Kates, J., & Rudowitz, R. (2022, February 10). Diversity of under-5 age group varies across states. Retrieved fromhttps://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/slide/diversity-of-under-5-age-group-varies-across-states/.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, National Academy of Medicine, & Committee on the Future of Nursing (2021). The future of nursing 2020–2030: Charting a path to achieve health equity. In Flaubert J. L. Le Menestrel, S., D. R. Williams & M. K. Wakefield (Eds.). Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2020–2030.
National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (2020). Diversity, equity and inclusion. Retrieved from https://www.napnap.org/diversity-inclusion/.
- Standards for quality nurse practitioner education, A report of the national task force on quality nurse practitioner education.sixth edn. 2022 (Retrieved from)
- Current status of fellowship programs for advanced practice registered nurses in the nurse practitioner role.Nurse Educator. 2018; 43: 42-44
- The care model of the future: Supporting APRNs through an innovative transition to practice program.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2014; 28: 276-279
- The pediatric nurse-practitioner program: Expanding the role of the nurse to provide increased health care for children.JAMA. 1968; 204: 298-302
- Strategies to promote the professional transition of new graduate nurse practitioners: A systematic review.Nursing Forum. 2019; 54: 557-564
- Creation and implementation of a pediatric advanced practice nurse critical care fellowship program.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2019; 33: 595-602
- The pediatric workforce: Recent data trends, questions, and challenges for the future.Pediatrics. 2021; 147e2020013292
- Pediatrics 2025: The AMSPDC workforce initiative.Journal of Pediatrics. 2021; 237: 5-8.e1
- Current efforts in diversity for pediatric subspecialty fellows: Playing a zero-sum game.Pediatrics. 2020; 146e2020001248
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
The authors obtained Institutional Review Board approval from the University of Texas at Arlington before beginning data collection.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.