- 1.Read the article carefully.
- 2.Read each question and determine the correct answer.
- 3.Visit PedsCESM, ce.napnap.org, to complete the online Posttest and evaluation.
- 4.You must receive 70% correct responses to receive the certificate.
- 5.Tests will be accepted until 31 August, 2021.
- 1.To identify types of e-cigarette devices.
- 2.To identify contents and additives in e-liquids.
- 3.To describe the associated effects of vaping on adolescents.
- 4.To identify terminology associated with e-cigarette use.
- 5.To identify resources for nicotine and tobacco cessation.
- 1.To take the Posttest for this article and earn contact hours, please go to PedsCESM at ce.napnap.org.
- 2.In the Course Catalog, search for the name of the CE article.
- 3.If you already have an account, log in using your username and password. If you are a NAPNAP member, log in with your username and password. If you are a first-time user and NAPNAP nonmember, click on “Log in,” and then click on “New Customer? Click Here.”
- 4.Once you have successfully passed the Posttest and completed the evaluation form, you will be able to print out your certificate immediately.
Surgeon General's advisory on e-cigarette use among youth.
Outbreak of lung injury associated with the use of e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
- Miech R.A.
- Johnston L.D.
- O'Malley P.M.
- Bachman J.G.
- Schulenberg J.E.
- Patrick M.E.
WHAT ARE ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES?
E-cigarette use among youth and young adults: A report of the Surgeon General-executive summary.
Types of Electronic Cigarettes
|Pod-style (JUUL, Juul Labs, Inc., San Francisco, CA)|
|Pod-style (Suorin, Suorin USA, Chino, CA)|
|Pod-style (Smok Novo 2, Shenzhen IVPS Technology Co Limited, Shenzhen, China)|
|Pod-style (PHIX device and e-liquid pod, PhixVapor, Brea, CA)|
|Cell phone vape case|
|Box-Mod (Vape & bluetooth speaker)|
|Vape device in key fob design|
FDA in brief: FDA warns company illegally selling e-liquid products intended for vaping that contain unapproved drugs for erectile dysfunction, weight loss and falsely claim to be FDA-approved.
- Miech R.A.
- Johnston L.D.
- O'Malley P.M.
- Bachman J.G.
- Schulenberg J.E.
- Patrick M.E.
What can marijuana be laced with?.
Electronic Cigarette Terminology
A historical timeline of electronic cigarettes.
- Hoffman J.
- Hoffman J.
ADOLESCENT PERCEPTIONS AND USE OF ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
The scientific basis of tobacco product regulation: Report of a WHO study group (945).
Reasons for Use
Social Media and Advertising
States and municipalities with laws regulating use of electronic cigarettes.
HEALTH EFFECTS OF NICOTINE AND VAPING ON ADOLESCENTS
- Nguyen D.
- Aamodt G.
|Cardiovascular system||Elevated blood pressure|
|Elevated heart rate|
|Increased myocardial workload|
|Increased risk of myocardial infarction|
|Increased risk for coronary artery disease|
|Pulmonary system||Increased inflammatory effects that may lead to|
|Acute respiratory distress|
|Neurological system||Nicotine addiction|
|Increased risk for psychiatric disorders|
|Increased risk for cognitive impairment later in life|
|Oral health||Dry mouth|
|Decreased taste sensation|
|Inflammation that may lead to|
Oral Health Effects
Other Ill Effects
AAP health initiatives: Clinical.
Tobacco use in children and adolescents: Primary care interventions [Final recommendation statement].
Want to quit smoking? FDA-approved products can help.
Appendix. Supplementary materials
- New insights into the sympathetic, endothelial and coronary effects of nicotine.Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 2008; 35: 458-463
- Vaping: Dangerous, available & addicting.2019 (Retrieved from)
- AAP health initiatives: Clinical.2019 (Retrieved from)https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/Richmond-Center/Pages/Clinical.aspx
- What can marijuana be laced with?.2019 (Retrieved from)
- States and municipalities with laws regulating use of electronic cigarettes.2019 (Retrieved from)
- Withdrawal symptoms over time among adolescents in a smoking cessation intervention: Do symptoms vary by level of nicotine dependence.Addictive Behaviors. 2009; 34: 1017-1022
- Adolescents’ use of “pod mod” e-cigarettes—urgent concerns.The New England Journal of Medicine. 2018; 379: 1099-1102
- Pharmacology of nicotine: Addiction, smoking-induced disease, and therapeutics.Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology. 2009; 49: 57-71
- The interaction between anxiety sensitivity and cigarette smoking level in relation to sleep onset latency among adolescent cigarette smokers.Journal of Adolescence. 2016; 51: 123-132
- U.S. Patent No. 9,215,895.U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC2015
- Functional brain imaging of tobacco use and dependence.Journal of Psychiatric Research. 2006; 40: 404-418
- Does the smoke ever really clear? Thirdhand smoke exposure raises new concerns.Environmental Health Perspectives. 2011; 119: A70-A74
- E-cigarette advertising exposure in e-cigarette naïve adolescents and subsequent e-cigarette use: A longitudinal cohort study.Addictive Behaviors. 2018; 81: 78-83
- Neurobiological considerations for tobacco use disorder.Current Behavioral Neuroscience Reports. 2018; 5: 238-248
- JUUL: Spreading online and offline.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2018; 63: 582-586
- Pulmonary toxicity of e-cigarettes.American Journal of Physiology-Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology. 2017; 313: L193-L206
- A historical timeline of electronic cigarettes.2019 (Retrieved from)
- Electronic cigarette overview.2019 (Retrieved from)
- Lasting synaptic changes underlie attention deficits caused by nicotine exposure during adolescence.Nature Neuroscience. 2011; 14: 417-419
- First- versus second-generation electronic cigarettes: Predictors of choice and effects on urge to smoke and withdrawal symptoms.Addiction. 2015; 110: 669-677
- Teen vaping: Time to clear the air.Contemporary Pediatrics. 2017; 34 (28–32, 38): 24
- JUULING: What kids don't know will hurt them.Contemporary Pediatrics. 2018; 35 (39): 5-6
- E-cigarettes: A scientific review.Circulation. 2014; 129: 1972-1986
- Addicted to vaped nicotine, teenagers have no clear path to quitting.The New York Times. 2018; (Retrieved from)
- Vaping versus JUULing: How the extraordinary growth and marketing of JUUL transformed the US retail e-cigarette market.Tobacco Control. 2019; 28: 146-151
- Electronic cigarette inhalation alters innate immunity and airway cytokines while increasing the virulence of colonizing bacteria.Journal of Molecular Medicine. 2016; 94: 667-679
- Nicotine arms race: JUUL and the high-nicotine product market.Tobacco Control. 2019; 28: 623-628
- E-cigarettes and similar devices.Pediatrics. 2019; 143: 1-8
- Monitoring the Future national survey results on drug use 1975-2017: 2017 overview, key findings on adolescent drug use.Institute for Social Research, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI2018
- Bronchiolitis.in: Fishman A.P. Fishman's pulmonary diseases and disorders. 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY1998: 825-847
- Blast injuries caused by vape devices: 2 case reports.Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2016; 77: 620-622
- Reasons for electronic cigarette experimentation and discontinuation among adolescents and young adults.Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 2015; 17: 847-854
- Clinical bronchiolitis obliterans in workers at a microwave-popcorn plant.The New England Journal of Medicine. 2002; 347: 330-338
- E-cigarettes and “dripping” among high-school youth.Pediatrics. 2017; 139 (e20163224)
- Pulmonary illness related to e-cigarette use in Illinois and Wisconsin - preliminary report.New England Journal of Medicine. 2019; 382: 903-916
- A new method of cannabis ingestion: The dangers of dabs.Addictive Behaviors. 2014; 39: 1430-1433
- E-Cigarette Marketing Exposure Is Associated With E-Cigarette Use Among US Youth.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2016; 58: 686-690
- An unexpected consequence of electronic cigarette use.Chest. 2012; 141: 1110-1113
- Youth say ads for flavored e-liquids are for them.Addictive Behaviors. 2019; 91: 164-170
- Monitoring the Future national survey results on drug use, 1975–2018: Volume I, secondary school students.Institute for Social Research, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI2019 (Retrieved from)
- Efficacy of Pharmacotherapy for Smoking Cessation in Adolescent Smokers: A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 2019; 21: 1473-1479
- Electronic cigarettes the past, present and future.2018 (Retrieved from)
- Surgeon General's advisory on e-cigarette use among youth.2018 (Retrieved from)https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/documents/surgeon-generals-advisory-on-e-cigarette-use-among-youth-2018.pdf
- Adolescents’ understanding and use of nicotine in e-cigarettes.Addictive Behaviors. 2018; 82: 109-113
- Risk factors for youth e-cigarette “vape trick” behavior.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2017; 61: 599-605
- A clinical research investigation on the effects of cigarette smoking, e- cigarette vaping and smoking cessation on vascular cell biology.Atherosclerosis. 2018; 275: 236
- Short-term e-cigarette exposure increases the risk of thrombogenesis and enhances platelet function in mice.Journal of the American Heart Association. 2018; 7 (e009264)
- Vaping as a catalyst for smoking? An initial model on the initiation of electronic cigarette use and the transition to tobacco smoking among adolescents.Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 18. 2016; : 647-653
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis and acute respiratory distress syndrome from e-cigarette use.Pediatrics. 2018; 141: 1-4
- Cadmium exposure and clinical cardiovascular disease: A systematic review.Current Atherosclerosis Reports. 2013; 15: 356
- Case report of electronic cigarettes possibly associated with eosinophilic pneumonitis in a previously healthy active-duty sailor.Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2014; 47: 15-17
- Reasons for electronic cigarette use among middle and high school students—National Youth Tobacco Survey, United States, 2016.MMWR. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2018; 67: 196-200
- E-cigarette use among youth and young adults: A report of the Surgeon General-executive summary.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GA2016
- Outbreak of lung injury associated with the use of e-cigarette, or vaping, products.2019 (Retrieved from)https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html#latest-outbreak-information
- Want to quit smoking? FDA-approved products can help.2017 (Retrieved from)
- FDA in brief: FDA warns company illegally selling e-liquid products intended for vaping that contain unapproved drugs for erectile dysfunction, weight loss and falsely claim to be FDA-approved.2018 (Retrieved from)https://www.fda.gov/news-events/fda-brief/fda-brief-fda-warns-company-illegally-selling-e-liquid-products-intended-vaping-contain-unapproved
- Tobacco use in children and adolescents: Primary care interventions [Final recommendation statement].2013 (Retrieved from)https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatemeRecomme/tobacco-use-in-children-and-adolescents-primary-care-interventions#consider
- Drug vaping: From the dangers of misuse to new therapeutic devices.Toxics, 4. 2016; : 1-16
- Recognition, use and perceptions of JUUL among youth and young adults.Tobacco Control. 2019; 28: 115-116
- Metal and silicate particles including nanoparticles are present in electronic cigarette cartomizer fluid and aerosol.PLOS ONE. 2013; 8: e57987
- The scientific basis of tobacco product regulation: Report of a WHO study group (945).2007 (Retrieved from)
- Nicotine and the adolescent brain.The Journal of Physiology. 2015; 593: 3397-3412
- Electronic cigarettes induce DNA strand breaks and cell death independently of nicotine in cell lines.Oral Oncology. 2016; 52: 58-65
Conflicts of interest: None to report.