- •46% of Hispanic, 38% of black, and 29% of white children are overweight or obese.
- •School-based health centers (SBHCs) provide care to vulnerable youth.
- •Guidelines to assess childhood obesity have been published.
- •Little is known about SBHC provider adherence to obesity guidelines.
- •SBHC providers follow some guidelines, but there is room for improvement.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Health Care
- Childhood obesity and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.Journal of Applied Physiology. 2010; 108: 436-444
- Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: Summary report.Pediatrics. 2007; 120S: S164-S192
- Medical evaluation of overweight children and adolescents: Reports from pediatricians, pediatric nurse practitioners, and registered dietitians.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 222-228
- When is family history obtained? Lack of timely documentation of family history among overweight and hypertensive paediatric patients.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2010; 46: 600-605
- Screening for obesity-related complications among obese children and adolescents: 1999-2008.Obesity. 2011; 19: 1077-1082
- Meta-analysis of short sleep duration and obesity in children and adults.Sleep. 2008; 31: 619-626
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011). About BMI for adults. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_BMI/index.html
Dandreaux, D., Gance-Cleveland, B., Aldrich, H., & Kamal, R. (in press). Challenges in translation science: Promoting adherence to childhood obesity guidelines. IRB: Ethics & Human Research.
- The use of BMI in the clinical setting.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: S35-S41
- Motivational interviewing for adolescent obesity.American Journal of Nursing. 2013; 113: 11
- Motivational interviewing for families with an overweight/obese child.Childhood Obesity. 2010; 6: 198-200
- School-based health centers in an era of health care reform: Building on history.Current Problems in Pediatric and Adolescent Health Care. 2012; 42: 132-156
- 2010-2011 School-Based Health Alliance Census Report.School-Based Health Alliance, Washington, DC2013
- Childhood obesity: Knowledge, attitudes, and practices of European pediatric care providers.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: E100-E108
- Healthy eating and activity together (HEATSM) clinical practice guideline: Identifying and preventing overweight in childhood.National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, Cherry Hill, NJ2006
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2014; 311: 806-814
- Daytime sleepiness in obesity: Mechanisms beyond obstructive sleep apnea—A review.Sleep. 2012; 35: 605-615
- Obtaining the family history for common, multifactorial diseases by family physicians. A descriptive systematic review.European Journal of General Practice. 2009; 15: 231-242
- Weight discrimination and bullying.Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2013; 27: 117-127
- Obesity prevention, screening, and treatment: Practices of pediatric providers since the 2007 expert committee recommendations.Clinical Pediatrics. 2011; 50: 434-441
- Evaluating the implementation of expert committee recommendations for obesity assessment.Clinical Pediatrics. 2013; 52: 131-138
- Recognition and management of childhood overweight and obesity by clinicians.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2006; 42: 411-418
- Management of child and adolescent obesity: Attitudes, barriers, skills, and training needs among health care professionals.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 210-214
- The impact of obesity on quality of life.Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2013; 27: 139-146
- Management of child and adolescent obesity: Study design and practitioner characteristics.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 205-209
- Family history in public health practice: A genomic tool for disease prevention and health promotion.Annual Review of Public Health. 2010; 31: 69-87
- Youth bullying: A review of the science and call to action.Nursing Outlook. 2013; 61: 337-345
- Body weight and obesity in adults and self-reported abuse in childhood.International Journal of Obesity. 2002; 26: 1075-1082
This project was supported by grant No. R18HS018646 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.